Fake News or better known as Disinformation
TIn this lesson we will be discussing with high school students how to protect themselves from fake news. We will be doing an activity that has them using these skills in real time.
In this lesson we will be discussing with high school students how to protect themselves from fake news. We will be doing an activity that has them using these skills in real time.
- Time frame 45 min.
- Format can be done in person or virtual
- Authors Emilee McCoy and American Library Association-Bookmark created by author Joanna M. Burkhardt, professor and head librarian at the University of Rhode Island (URI) branch libraries in Providence and Narragansett.
Background for Teachers
- To teach this lesson, you will need an understanding of what is fake news and how to teach students how to spot it.
- The following resources can help you teach this topic...
Step 1 - Goals and Outcomes
ISTE helps educators around the world use technology to solve tough problems. https://www.iste.org
ISTE Standards 1.2 Digital Citizen
Students recognize the rights, responsibilities and opportunities of living, learning and working in an interconnected digital world, and they act and model in ways that are safe, legal and ethical.
- Students will be able to to evaluate news stories and websites to discern for themselves if the information they are reading is fake news.
- Students will describe their evaluation of their news stories as fact or fiction
Step 2 - Planning Instruction
What is fake news?
Who shares fake news?
How to spot fake news?
Fakes News sites
Google Search for bostontribune.com
Step 3 - Instruction
This is an discussion based lesson.
Show the above image and ask the students what they think about this article. Take a poll. Is it a real news story?
No-this is a fake news site. This is the real site. https://abcnews.go.com/
What is the first thing they can do to check to see if a website is secure. Look at the beginning of the url http:// (not safe) https:// (means secure)
Give them the handout included in this lesson.
Have they ever discovered fake news?
1. Show this YouTube video What is fake news?
2. Who shares fake news?
Show this YouTube video What kind of people share fake news?
The worksheet is a trick on the 2nd section it lists 6 people that share fake news. The video only gives 5. Discuss with them how easy it would be for them to share fake news.
3. Discuss how be a detective when it comes to fake news.
Show YouTube video How to spot fake news?
4. Flip to Page 2 of the worksheet. Ask them what sites they go to to get information. These are websites I found that are know as fake news sites. (Note to teacher: Often they get taken down because people discover they are fake. If you are reading this some of them might be gone.)
Just by looking at the URL it looks like they are legit news sites. Let's dig a little deeper and use the questions on the back of the handout to do some detective work.
Fakes News sites as of April 2023
1. Have them start with this one. https://www.infowars.com/
Walk through the questions on page 2 of the handout. This information is also found on the ALA bookmark.
2. Next have them try this website. now8news.com
This time have them fill out the worksheet on their own.
3. Now that they have had 2 examples let's try it with a Google search.
Google Search for bostontribune.com. If you do bostontribune.com their website comes up first but it has a weird 12 in the url. If you scroll down further you'll notice it pops up on a fake news website. If you do the search as Boston Tribune, you will notice that the Boston Herald and the Boston Globe come up as the first hits on this search. That's a sign that it's not legit. Legit newspapers come up before the Boston Tribune.
4. The most important part of the lesson is the reflection piece on the worksheet. Give them 5-10 minutes to write down the things they learn. Then do a think pair share with the entire class. Have them each share something their partner said that was enlightening not their opinion but what they learned from their partner.
Step 4 - Assessments
Please hand out the worksheet below this will help you with assessment. The key is included in the worksheet.