- Social Studies
- Material Type:
- Upper Elementary
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial
- Media Formats:
DLI-Chinese Timeline of Ancient China
This is a lesson plan to teach the timeline of Ancient China for 6th-grade social studies.
This lesson should take about 45 minutes or longer depending on the type of presentation tools you allow students to use. Students are going to create a timeline of Ancient China including the major dynasties and a few events about the major dynasties.
Timeline of Ancient China by Xuexian Brailsford is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0
Background for Teachers
- To teach this lesson, you should have covered the major dynasties of China and the important events
- You will need knowledge about the important events that happened in each dynasties
- The following resources can help you teach this topic: https://www.ducksters.com/history/china/ancient_china.php, https://www.ducksters.com/history/china/dynasties.php.
Step 1 - Goals and Outcomes
- Students will be able to learn about the timeline of Ancient China and understand how major events contribute to the modern world
- Students will be able to describe the major contribution to the modern world and demonstrate their skill of creating a timeline using technology tools.
Step 2 - Planning Instruction
Student Background Knowledge
- Prior to this lesson, students will need to have an understanding of major events of the major dynasties in China.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
The teacher can use ducksters.com to support the students who need additional information to create their timelines. They are able to use different tools to demonstrate their skills. The teacher can provide different online platforms the students can choose from, such as Lucid chart, google drawings, PowerPoint, Adobe spark and any approved technology solution that is approved by your district.
Step 3 - Instruction
1. Powerpoint for Ancient China, if the social studies teacher is in Chinese dual immersion, they can use the powerpoint below to provide instruction on the important timelines and events. This is used prior to help the students gain an understanding of the lesson before doing their own timeline project.
2. The links are resources for the students to create their own timelines.
- Terracotta soldiers interactive video: https://share.nearpod.com/e/WuSh6vACjgb
Step 4 - Assessments
The assessment will be a form of presentation, students are able to choose the type of technology tools they used. They will need to demonstrate the major dynasties and events.
|1||Demonstrate no understanding of the assignment||Did not use technology tools|
|2||Demonstrate a little understanding of the assignment and it is incomplete||Use the technology tool as a substitution of paperwork and do not demonstrate novelty or creativity|
|3||Demonstrate correct understanding of the assignments and completed the criteria of including major dynasties and events.||Demonstrate proficiency in using technology and creativity in presentation.|
|4||Demonstrate a high level of understanding of the assignment and went beyond to meet the criterias.||Demonstrate high proficiency in using technology to transform a simple assignment into a real-world connection|