Digital Storytelling Creation
This lesson is to teach students about different apps they can use to create their digital stories based upon the narrative that they wrote. In this lesson, they will explore different video-making apps and begin to create their video using their narrative and storyboards.
Face to Face
In this lesson plan, students will take the overcoming challenge narrative that they wrote prior to class and turn it into a digital story.
Note: The videos will be shared and presented to the class which will include an additional two class periods. (Please refer to the assessments section for the rubric).
Background for Teachers
I will need to know about different sites that students can use to create their digital stories. Current sites that students are allowed to use include Adobe Spark and Screencastify.
Step 1 - Goals and Outcomes
Learning intentions: Students will be able to use a media like Adobe Sparks and Screencastify to create videos.
Success Criteria: Students will use video making apps to create and share stories.
Step 2 - Planning Instruction
Student Background Knowledge
- Prior to this lesson, students will need to complete the overcoming challenges narrative. They should have edited the narrative and have discussed the narrative with the teacher prior to making the video.
- Prior to this lesson, students should have created the storyboards for their digital story so they are now ready to input it into a system and speak the audio.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
- ESL students can have Spanish and English subtitles in their videos.
- Students with learning disabilities will be taught only one video-making platform and the time frame for their created video may be shortened.
Step 3 - Instruction
- Minilesson on different apps that can be used to create the videos. Share videos that teach how to use these sites. (15 minutes)
- Think- Pair - Share: Have the students decide which app they will use to create their video, have the students discuss with their group, and then share with the class which system they will use (10 minutes).
- Have students create accounts for the video-making apps. Have students begin to transport their material from the storyboard into these apps or a Google slide where they can film from. (15 minutes)
- Have students begin filming and using audio for their videos (20 Minutes)
- Observe students and reflect with students if additional time is needed to complete the videos.
Step 4 - Assessments
Students will present their projects to the class the following class periods after they finish creating their videos.