In this instructional video, the Hogle Zoo explains how to use the lesson plan "Build a Beaver Dam 2.2.2 & 2.2.4."
2nd Grade SEEd Resources
This collection contains highly recommended second-grade SEEd lessons, activities, and other resources from the eMedia library.
By participating in this activity, students will:
• understand the benefits and problems with a human-made dam to an ecosystem
• understand the benefits and issues with the construction of a beaver-made dam to an ecosystem
• understand the adaptations and behavior of beavers in changing habitats
• use engineering skills to build a beaver dam
• understand the beneficial role beavers play in habitat construction for other animals, including people.
By completing this activity, students will have a better understanding of what habitats are and what living things need to survive in their habitats. Students will create a model of an animal's habitat at a zoo. Each exhibit that the student's design will be uniquely suited to an individual species and its specific habitat needs. When all of the exhibits are combined to make a zoo, the lesson will also emphasize s the diversity of living things and underscore the everyday needs of living things as the exhibits will need to provide similar elements for the animal's survival.
This video asks you to identify habitat needs, animal adaptation and more while on a tour of the African Savanna exhibit at the Hogle Zoo.
SEEd standards proficiency scales for Grades 1 Ð 5 that include learning targets and sample task ideas for determining whether students are approaching proficiency, proficient, or highly proficient.