Matrix Multiplication Project
In this group project, you will create a video that teaches the class how to multiply matrices. You will be using iMovie to edit your video. You should spend 2-3 hours on this project and it will be done face-to-face. This project is intended for a 9th-grade Secondary Math 1 Honors class.
In this group project, you will create a video that teaches the class how to multiply matrices. You will be using iMovie to edit your video. You should spend 2-3 hours on this project and it will be done face-to-face. This project is intended for a 9th grade Secondary Math 1 Honors class.
By this point you should already know how to multiply matrices. For this lesson, use your notes on matrix multiplcation from last class to help you through this project. Using those notes will help make sure the problems you solve for your lesson are done correctly.
Step 1 - Goals and Outcomes
- Students will be able to multiply matrices of differing dimensions.
- Students will be able to explain the process of multiplying matrices.
- Students will multiply matrices of differing dimensions correctly.
- Students will create a mini video lesson on iMovie that teaches the class the process of multiplying matrices.
Step 2 - Planning Instruction
Student Background Knowledge
Prior to this lesson, students will need to have an understanding of operations on matrices, including matrix multiplicaton. They will also need to know their times tables and order of operations on simplifying expressions.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
For students that require accommodations, they will be allowed extended time. For those students that get anxiety about presenting, they won't need to present to the class. Instead, they can come after school and present for just the teacher.
Step 3 - Instruction
What you need to do:
- Get into groups of 3: each group member will have to do one problem.
- Review your notes from last class on matrix multiplication. If you have fogotten how to multiply matrices, review the video lesson: https://www.loom.com/share/86b04cad53c04a828264a70f016630f3
- Make up 3 problems and work them out to find the solutions.
- When you have the solutions, bring them up to your teacher to get them checked off. If they are correct, move on to step 4. If they are incorrect, rework them and get them checked a second time.
- Make a video lesson that describes the multiplication process for your 3 problems. Look at my example video: https://youtu.be/yyWko4Edbbo. You can make a video like this one, or you may create a lesson using a different format.
- Use the iMovie application on your computer to put your video together, edit, add music, titles, backgrounds, etc.
- Original Lesson Plan (also linked above under #2): https://www.loom.com/share/86b04cad53c04a828264a70f016630f3
- Example Project Video (also linked above under #5): https://youtu.be/yyWko4Edbbo
Step 4 - Assessments