- Jamie Mathews
- English Language Arts
- Material Type:
- Adult Education
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
- Media Formats:
Adobe Spark Web post example
Apple photo editing
class presentations rubric
Conjunction explanation video
Google photo editing
Graphic Organizer example
How to make an adobe spark webpage
People_in_the_park_(11080825886)Nikolaj Potanin from Russia, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Resource about using other's photos found on the internet.
resource and quiz for conjunctions
Samsung photo editing
Teacher example of finished Adobe Spark
What My Family and I Like to Do
Students will create an Adope Spark Page with their own photos to describe what activities they like to do with their families. Students will learn to take their own photos, edit them and then present. The grammar writing focus will be to include the conjunction and when they write sentences about their pictures.
In this lesson the students will take pictures of activities that they like to do with their family and then present it in an adope spark page using the sentence structure of including conjunction and. For example, My family and I like to go hiking and camping.
- 2 class periods of 1 and 1/2 hours each.
- Format can be done face to face or virtual
Background for Teachers
- To teach this lesson, you will need an understanding of mobile photography and how students can edit pictures on their phones.
- You will need knowledge about the conjunction and before teaching this lesson.
- I have included some information about conjuctions and a practice quiz.
- I have also included a video on how to teach students to use adobe spark webpage to add their photos and create their sentences.
Step 1 - Goals and Outcomes
- Students will be able to understand how to create an adope spark webpage to present information about activities they like to do with their family.
- Students will use the grammar focus and include the conjuction and to describe their pictures and what their family likes to do together. They will use their own photos they take for the assignment.
Level 2 adult education standards
By the end of English language proficiency level 2, an ELL can with support,
• deliver short oral presentations
• compose simple written narratives or informational texts about familiar texts, topics, experiences, or events.
Step 2 - Planning Instruction
Student Background Knowledge
- Prior to this lesson, students will need to have an understanding of conjunctions with and. They will have working on it in their writing class and done activities to practice.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
Students at a lower level and take the pictures and write words that relate to the picture if they don't know how to make a sentence yet. Students at a high level could make it into a story with more details.
Step 3 - Instruction
Photo credit for the picture in the park
Nikolaj Potanin from Russia, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
- Teacher example of final project.
- Graphic organizer so students know what kind of pictures to take.
- Images used to give credit at the beginning of the lesson theme.
- conjunction explanation video
In my adult ESOL writing class we will be learning about using the conjunction and in sentences. After the students have the rules and structure down then I want them to take pictures about an activity that they like to do with their families. Then after they have taken those pictures they will create a presentation to share those pictures and use the conjunction and in their sentences to describe the items in the pictures and why they like to do that particular activity. The skills needed to complete this activity would be for them to take a certain number of pictures using different techniques on their phones and I would use a graphic organizer to show the different ways they need to take the pictures. Then they will use their phones to edit the pictures. After they have edited their pictures then they will make a Adobe Spark Page to create their photo essay to present to the class. The will be using the writing structure more than they think as they write about their pictures and what is included in them. By completing this activity they will reinforce the rules and apply it to their lives and it will sink in deeper.
- The teacher will help students to brainstorm the activities they like to do with their family. The teacher will explain how to take pictures and edit them on different phones.
- The teacher can show the videos found on youtube about the different phones in groups depending on which phones the students have.
- The teacher will show and example of the finished project.
- The teacher will explain how to make an adobe spark page and they can think about what their title will be then the layout. They will take pictures or find existing pictures on their phone.
- Teacher will instruct students on copywrite rules for any pictures they use that aren't their own.
- Students will edit their pictures.
- Students will upload their photos into the adobe spark webpage.
- Students will write sentences about their pictures making sure they include the conjuction and.
- Students will follow the check list to make sure they have the correct number of pictures and sentences.
- Students will practice reading their sentences outloud and the teacher can help correct their pronunciation.
- Students will present their Adobe Spark Webpages to the class.
Step 4 - Assessments
Students will be assessed in different ways through out the two classes. They will be assessed in the following ways below.
- Assignments: Adobe Spark webpage project.
- Formative assessment as teacher walks around to help with assignment
- Observations of pronunciation and teacher feedback
- Presentations to the class about their family activities.
Attach or link to any needed assessment files.
- Writing Rubric
- Presenation Rubric