Applied Digital Skills Lesson - Earth Day
This is a lesson plan created for Earth Day using an Applied Digital Skills lesson. After providing students with background on Earth Day, students will take charge of their learning by following the lesson to explore a topic centered around Earth Day. Students will be creating a presentation using a Google Application and will share the presentation with the class.
Students will be using a lesson on Earth Day from the Applied Digital Skills library to learn about Earth Day and how it has inspired people worldwide to preserve and protect the planet. This project will take students about 3 hours and can be completed in all formats.
Background for Teachers
Step 1 - Goals and Outcomes
- Students will be able to research a topic related to Earth Day and create a project to communicate their findings
- Students will create a project in a Google application and present the project to the class.
Step 2 - Planning Instruction
Student Background Knowledge
Prior to this lesson, students will need to have an understanding of research skills using the internet, Google Applications such as Sites, Sheets, Docs, or Slides.
Strategies for Diverse Learners
Students can work independently or in a small group of 2-3.
Students can research their chosen subject using Utah's Online Library, which provides leveled articles that students can listen to instead of reading themselves.
Step 3 - Instruction
1. As a class, access the Flocabulary Earth Day Lesson in Nearpod. In this short introduction, students will learn about Earth Day. Students will learn about the history of Earth Day and its impact on environmental policy. They will also learn how they can protect the planet on Earth Day and throughout the year.
2. The Applied Digital Skills lesson will be posted in Google Classroom for students to access. Preview the lesson and discuss the requirements as a class. Allow students to work independently or in a small group of 2-3.
3. The role of the teacher during this time should be flexible. The teacher will need to guide students to stay focused and on task and continue progressing throughout the lesson. The teacher should be available to answer any questions and redirect students/groups.
Step 4 - Assessments
The project requirement of this lesson will allow students to show mastery of the content learned. They should be knowledgeable in the topic they chose, able to answer any questions that may arise during their presentation. To check for a general understanding of Earth Day, the following Kahoot can be used.